Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Weird Promotion That Works





Last weekend I made the trip to the liquor store in search of a tasty wine to take to the party I was going to Friday night. Let me first say I am a wine lover, not quite a 'wine-o' like the salesman asked, but I enjoy, really enjoy a nice glass of white wine.

After being enticed by new products introduced by the salesman, I decided to be boring and grab a bottle of wine that I knew was tasty and affordable (because that's always an issue for me), one that I often go for.

But, as I was walking to the counter to pay, I saw the WEIRDEST but in my opinion, SMARTEST (well not quite the smartest, but very creative) promotion on a bottle of wine. The brand of wine was XOXO, and I had heard of it, but never tried the wine. Attached to the neck of the bottle was a SHAVER. Yes, you heard me right. A woman's razor was attached to the bottle of wine. Is that not the most unusual promotion you have heard of?

I laughed about it and said, "Wow, I can't believe Schick and XOXO wine are cross promoting"!

But, I spoke too soon, because minutes later I was paying for the bottle of XOXO wine and joking with the teller about the funny sales promotion. Then he made me eat my words by saying, "It worked on you didn't it?"

Yes, it worked on me. That's the moral of the story. The promotion was effective to the target they were reaching for, women between the ages of 18-25. And I am 21. I fell for it, because which poor college student can pass up a free shaver?

3 comments:

  1. Why do you think that kind of marketing worked on you purchase of that product?

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post. That is a pretty neat promotion... I think it's also beyond the 'poor student' as who they're targeting though. I think it kinda goes together with night life for the female population... bottle of wine... night out... gotta rock a new dress, but wait.. can't forget smooth and chic (or schick in this case) legs. Smart. It's like a little care package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure Megan! That's exactly what they're doing! But, as a poor student who does go out and is female, I wouldn't say no to a free shaver!

    ReplyDelete