Monday, March 21, 2011

Canyon Adventures

Since spring is just around the corner I figured I would pay a tribute to Winter 2010-2011. It has been a fine Manitoban winter, with an abundance of snow. I always say if we're going to get the brutal cold weather and some snow, we may as well get piles of it! This makes fun winter activities even better! But, I am so ready for spring. I just need to dig out my galoshes!

Instead of going through all of my winter adventures, I'm going to highlight one of my favourite adventures this winter: my trip to Canmore, Alberta to visit my brother, sister-in-law, and newborn nephew! While in Canmore, my mom and I visited one of our favourite spots, Johnston Canyon.

This beautiful hiking trail about 20 minutes from Banff is a must-see for anyone travelling there! I have only ever been there in the winter, but would love to hike it in the summer because I'm sure it's so different looking! The first time I went to Johnston Canyon, I was not prepared. To sum it up in three words: I wore Uggs. For those unaware of canyon hiking trails, there are a great many ups and downs (hills) along the way and if you're not wearing proper footwear you'll slip and slide the whole hike. Near the end my brother and boyfriend were practically carrying me out, it was that bad.

So, I learned my lesson and this time wore proper winter boots, and my mom who witnessed the tragic event last time, wanted to be extra prepared and went as far as wearing snow shoes! With a camera around my neck, I hiked up the canyon with my mom on a beautiful crisp, but sunny day. It was so beautiful and I would recommend anyone who is going to Banff of Canmore to check it out! Here are some pictures from this winter trip.


<

No comments:

Post a Comment