Sunday, January 31, 2010

Zooey & Adam Is Raw

I had my first experience watching an "art house" film at the Cinematheque theatre on Friday. I first learned of the theatre this year from people in my program. I have only ever been to see Hollywood budget movies at theatres like Silver City. And to be honest I hadn't intended to go see a movie at the Cinematheque, until we started a project in our public relations class that involves promoting local film maker Sean Garrity's new film Zooey & Adam.

To avoid boring you with a long story, I'll keep it short. In a nutshell, I had a great experience. I really enjoyed the movie and I would recommend everyone, male or female to check it out. Sean Garrity did a fine job portraying an emotional battle a husband goes through after his wife is raped and she gives birth to a child with the dad unknown. The movie is raw, emotional and impacts both genders. It creates heated discussions between both sexes on what they would do in the situation. Listening to people talking after the movie you could tell there was a definite divide between men and women and their opinions.

I was really impressed with the acting and gained respect for the actors once I found out it was all improv. And the movie was not predictable at all, the ending especially took me by surprise. For those wondering how disturbing it is, I'd say it's not that bad until the end. I left with an eery feeling in my stomach, but I believe Garrity made the right choice with the way it ended, because it could have been worse.

After watching Zooey & Adam, which was filmed entirely in Manitoba (which I thought was so cool), I would give the Cinematheque another go!

1 comment:

  1. Good post - and I'm glad you enjoyed your first visit to a theatre without video games in the lobby!

    ReplyDelete