Sunday, October 17, 2010

"The Paraben Shop" and "Bath & Paraben Works"


Since working on a campaign for an environmentally friendly hair salon, Berns & Black, my eyes have been opened to the terrible world of parabens. I had never heard of parabens before I began this campaign for a school project.

I always hear people say they use organic hair and body products, but I never know exactly what that means and I have never heard someone say they use "paraben free" products. So I have done some research and looked into the research that my peers Jenn and Megan have done. So to sum it up for you in layman's terms, I've learned that parabens are harmful preservatives used in cosmetics to make them last longer on the shelf. But, they have been linked very strongly recently to breast cancer.

This is not something to take lightly because breast cancer claims the lives of about 100 Canadian women every week, according to the Canadian Cancer Society. So, for those of you that are thinking "well everything is linked to cancer" as you read this, remember there have been studies done and they have research to prove that parabens are harmful. So why take the risk? Why not choose to use paraben free products in hopes that it may be one more thing preventing you from getting to know the scary disease known as cancer? It's not hard to do.

Okay, I'll admit, it is hard to do. But it will be worth it if it's what stops you from taking a seat in the chemo chair. But, I feel for you and understand how hard it is to find out your favourite cosmetic is loaded with parabens and have to part with it.

I did a bathroom scan tonight and found out that my FAVOURITE perfumes and lotions contained the harmful preservatives. Every single Bath & Body Works and Body Shop product I own has parabens in it. This was like taking a punch to my stomach because I am a total scent person. I LOVE SMELLS. It is my favourite of the five senses. Unfortunately, I found out tonight that my favourite smelling products, Chanel and Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom both are both on the paraben hit list.
So afterwords I felt regret and wished I had not done the bathroom scan. But, I know in the long run it will benefit me and if anything raise my awareness.

One more thing before I sign off: I was SHOCKED that every single Body Shop product I own has parabens in it because they are always boasting about being natural and good for the environment! BOGUS! In their defense though, I have heard that most of their newer products don't contain parabens. So the best advice I can give you is always look at the labels when purchasing cosmetics and GO DO A BATHROOM SCAN! You'll be shocked!

9 comments:

  1. That is super shocking. I also love Body Shop products & I am alarmed that they wouldn't be on the forefront of this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Body Shop is my favourite place to buy lotions and facial products, so I was pretty shocked when I found out the seaweed facial product line is full of parabens. Luckily, all of my body butters except for one are paraben-free. And my perfume of choice: Japanese Cherry Blossom is safe as well, so you should pick that up Lauren!

    I'm definitely going to start doing ingredient checks before I purchase anything there. I'm thinking about writing an email to them about this issue, because I'm a loyal customer and I think it'd be beneficial to their brand if they removed parabens from ALL of their products. Or at least widely advertised which ones are free of parabens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Environmental Working Group has been trying to get cosmetic companies to stop using parabens. Check out "skin deep" at ewg.com. I am a breast cancer fighter- diagnosed 2005 and still on chemotherapy drugs. Wish I had known sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, the website is ewg.org - not .com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at The Body Shop just a couple days ago and inquired about products that are paraben free. They have a whole line now of paraben free products. I bought shampoo, conditioner, skin care products (cleanser, toner, day cream and night cream), a 2 in 1 liquid and powder foundation, a lip gloss and sparkle blush. Fortunately they had a good sale on as I am just making the transition to natural & paraben free products. So they do have some now, you just have to ask which ones are paraben free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. another good place to get yummy scented body washes and lotions that are paraben free is through a Scentsy rep. They are new to Canada but have been around in the states for a while. I just started selling Scentsy and was shocked when I realized my Japaneses Cherry Blossom would be out until B and B hopefully redid with with out the chemicals. In the mean time Im loving the new Scentsy smells and not having to worry about them. if interested check out their product line at www.thepaperpossum.scentsy.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. everybody is having this attitude "parabens are evil," well we dont know for sure if they can actaully cause cancer since no one has gotton cancer from using bath and body works yet...also parabens are in alot of things, face washes, deoderant, toothpaste, things we usein everyday life. Things we've been using for years. I've been using all my life and I dont have cancer! Dont throw away you expensive lotions and beauty products because of parabens, if you are really going to throw away anything you have with parabens and other harsh chemicals, you would be throwing away pretty much any product you own....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel the same way - until I was diagnosed with breast cancer this past summer. No history of any type of cancer in my family. More chemicals are in our products and foods (hormones, pesticides). I think it's important to be informed about what we put in and on our bodies.

      Delete
  8. Nothing is safe not even a new car its contains harmful chemicals in the plastic that you breathe in everyday. Food is no longer safe unless you grow your own.

    ReplyDelete