Thursday, October 22, 2009

Blogging Destroying Social Skills


To blog or not to blog?
I have a strong opinion when it comes to the internet. And of course, blogging.

So you ask... why do you have a blog? It's simple, I have to. We are asked to blog in our Public Relations course at Red River College. And, I admit I have enjoyed my experience blogging, more than I had expected.
I had a very negative view on blogging when we were first given the assignment. But, as I do more and more of it, I realize it's not so bad. It's an avenue to put my opinions and experiences onto "paper". Also, it provides an opportunity for others to read into what kind of person I am.

BUT, I do believe that the internet is slowly destroying society in social terms. I believe people depend on electronic communication too much. People rely on social networking sites, blogs, email and instant messaging to connect with friends, family and co-workers. It frustrates me that people don't take time out of their day to talk to a friend about an experience they had. Or discuss their opinion on a hot topic with a co-worker. Or call a family member to see how they're doing.

I believe as a society, we have lost the value of personal communication. Too often I find people will just rely on facebook to write how they are feeling, and update what they have been doing.
And people share their well thought out opinions on blogger instead of sharing a heated argument with others in human-interaction.

People speculate about why many teenagers are socially inept nowadays. The internet, in my opinion, has played a big part in ruining our social skills. And social skills are so important. Now people don't have to interact with others face-to-face, they can just message them, or blog about what's on their mind.

I admit, I have fallen into this trap too. I recently caught myself becoming the person I never wanted to be. I come home from school, where I use the computer/internet in almost every class, and one of the first things I do is power on my laptop... to check my facebook, email and... blog.

What have I become??

Lately, I have told myself not to use my computer unless I need to go on for a reason.. ie.homework. But, I'm not that disciplined. Facebook always gets to me. Some of my friends have actually deleted their facebook accounts because they thought they were spending way too much time on the social networking site. It's not a bad idea, come to think of it. But that's a whole new topic for a whole new blog post.

Oh, and I have noticed myself falling into the text trap too. I text way too often. Instead of calling someone I just text them. But, in my defense: it's usually because I can't afford to call, and texting is free. I am a POOR STUDENT.

Even my room mate, who lives up a flight of stairs (yes I am a basement rat) will text me to ask a question instead of coming down to talk to me face to face. And, of course I answer her! So.. yes even I have fallen into that trap. It's just so convenient. TOO CONVENIENT.

To end this post of my ranting and raving on blogging and the internet, I will post a quote I am fond of, but wish I knew who it was by:

"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks. " ~Author Unknown

1 comment: